- Helps identify team strengths and weaknesses.
- Helps to pick appropriate project topics for success.
- Creates an increased awareness of personal/professional characteristics as viewed by team members.
At the outset of a team project, assess the assets of the team members including expertise, experience, passions, and what they would like to learn. Record these. Then using the SWOT technique, look at the whole team composition and identify strengths, weaknesses (i.e. what skills are missing?), opportunities that are presented by the team as a whole, and potential threats and how they could be addressed.
- Be honest with your evaluations.
- Manage team expectations re: SWOT results.
- Listen carefully.