- Helps get out of a no-idea jam.
- Helps generate new ideas.
- Helps develop project scope and boundary.
When in the process of idea generation, think about what constraints are in play. Then eliminate all the constraints for a specific length of time. Then selectively add in constraints and experiment with which ones open up opportunities and which ones close you down.
- Record the constraints used. This can be done on post-its and colour coded for importance of constraints.
- Keep track of the different scenarios of using the different constraints.