- As a tool to perform user research.
- To understand people’s experience as they use a thing, a space or a process.
The empathy interview is an approach to finding out as much as possible about a person’s experience as a “user” of a space, a process, an objective or an environment. We want to understand the choices that people make and why they make them.
Notes from d.school’s bootcamp document on interview process:
- Introduce yourself
- Introduce the project
- Build rapport
- Evoke stories
- Explore emotions
- Question statements
- Thank and Wrap-up
- Keep questions to 10 words or less.
- Be as neutral as possible in your questions — no right or wrong answers.
- One question at a time.
- Try to interview in pairs or use a voice recorder.
- Encourage stories.